COMMENTS ARE WELCOME

Anonymous, signed, happy, critical, irrelevant - we welcome all comments with open arms and a plate of (virtual) hot buttered scones.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Letter XI (Foofri to Cordy)

Dear Cordy,

First of all, I'm coming home! I leave tomorrow morning and should see you by tomorrow night. We will get through all of this drama together, dearest.

Second, I found the contents of your last letter very odd, but even more so after everything that happened here. I'm sure you've already heard the news about Master Blivius, but I was completely shocked when I found out from Sean.

I was both eager and nervous to speak to Sean after remembering everything in our past. I desperately wanted to talk to him about it, but I had no idea what I would say. “Oh, by the way, I finally remembered that night when you found out you had magic and almost got us killed,” might not be the best conversation starter ever conceived. Plus, since I hadn't received your letter yet, there was nothing to report so there was no reason to seek him out. I decided to wait until Father went for one of his late night walks into the village so I could follow him and confront both him and Sean together.

Your letter arrived this afternoon and had me so deep in thought, I almost missed Father sneaking out the back door just after sunset. I followed him to the hut just the same as last time (no troll this time, thank goodness) and, after sitting down in the corner of the room, overheard the following conversation.

“Master Blivius is dead,” said Sean without preamble. “They found him this morning with a knife in his back.”

“Great Jalwa's ghost!” Father replied hoarsely. He stroked his chin. “You think it’s connected?"

“Yes, somehow. He was found with several volumes available only to magii of his rank and status. One happened to be regarding the Stones and their history. It was lying open on his desk when they found him.”

Father started pacing. “It could have been planted there. Or…it could be real.” He stopped and crossed his arms over his chest. “This changes things drastically, doesn’t it? Someone knows something about the Stones and doesn’t want anyone else to find out. I hope Cordelimaera is taking our advice by not asking around or doing research on her own. We’ve got to do something to make sure she stays out of trouble.”

“You know what that means.”

“Yes, but how to do it without causing a stir,” Father said as he started pacing again, “And how to keep Foofri from getting involved....”

“Once she finds out how much danger Cordelimaera is in, she'll want to go back to the city?”

“I wouldn't be surprised if she already knows something,” Father replied. “She received a letter today and has been acting overly docile and innocent, which is a sure sign she's up to something. I'm starting to wonder if she's on to me.”

“Surely she would confront you immediately,” Sean suggested.

“It's hard to say. She can be very direct sometimes. Other times, she likes to make you squirm a bit first, or spring something on you when you least expect it.”

Which was the perfect segue into revealing myself. I stood up from my corner and dissolved my invisibility spell. “Father? Sean?” I began, clasping my hands in front of me. “Good evening, gentlemen. I believe I can offer assistance. I have some important information to impart that will shed some light on matters.”

For a long moment, they just looked at me in surprise. Then they looked knowingly at each other. Father let out a big sigh.

“See?” he grumbled. “I should have known she had figured things out and would try something like this.” He buried his face in his hands.

“Let’s make the most of things,” replied Sean, “and at least hear what she has to say.”

“You don't have to talk about me as though I wasn't here,” I said to him before I turned to my father. “I’m sorry, Father, but your secrecy compelled me to take unorthodox action this time.”

“This time?”

“Let's move on,” I said, ignoring my father's remark. “First, I do have some information you will find valuable.” I took a deep breath and went for broke. “In exchange for including me in the rest of your business regarding Cordy and the Stones, I will be happy to share what I know.”

My father stood in front of me and crossed his arms again in defiance. “Foofri, you have no idea what kind of demands you are making.”

“Perhaps. All I know is that they are on behalf of my dearest friend and cousin.”

“Who is my niece as well, may I remind you? Do you honestly think I would be involved in anything that would harm Cordelimaera in any way?”

“No, but I’m assuming that in the business of intrigue there are certain risks that must be taken. Safety is never a guarantee. Cordy is involved with this whether she likes it or not. It’s actually a great comfort to know that she’s not in it alone. I, for one, am willing to do whatever is required to resolve this nonsense with the Stones.”

“Nonsense?”

“Yes, nonsense. Cordy knows nothing concrete about the Stones, nor does anyone else, as far as we know. There are only suspicions and rumors, and yet, all of these strange and disturbing things are happening because of them.”

“Oh? And what strange things do you know of that we don’t?”

“You first,” I insisted.

“We can’t just compromise confidences simply because you demand it! This is our job! Keeping secrets is expected and something, I might add, for which I’m known throughout the Imperial Underground.”

“I’m not asking you to compromise anything. I want the same thing that you do--to see that Cordy remains safe regardless of what happens. Please, let me help! Let me go back to Imperial City and be your eyes!”

“No!” they both shouted in unison.

“But, I ca…”

“No!” They said again.

“Please, just hear me ou…”

“No!”

I looked at the both of them. They both seemed a little angry and here I was attempting to help them.

“Do you want her safe?” I said, finally. “Do you want her to stay out of trouble? I am the only one who can make sure she does. If you send someone to be a bodyguard of sorts, people will notice. If you tell her not to do something, she’ll do it (my apologies dearest, but I needed strength to my argument, plus…well, it is somewhat true). I’m the only one who can distract her and keep her from doing anything rash. In addition, I’ll be there to see if anything out of the ordinary occurs and I promise I’ll do my part to pass on information. You can depend on me!” I was pleading now.

Sean was still obviously against it, but my father seemed to be considering. I started to speak again with another line of argument, but a cutting motion with his hand silenced me.

“What you say does make sense. But for the fact that you’re my daughter, I might allow it…”

“Allow? I’m sorry Father, but surely you can see this is the only way. I know you want to protect Cordy, and me as well, but obviously this is the only way to insure that. And besides,” I paused for breath, “You don’t have a choice in the matter. If you want information from Cordy, and she does have information, you’ll need to agree to my terms.” I crossed my arms, mimicking my father's stance.

I expected Father to blow up, though I’ve never seen him come even close, but he just sat there with a rather pained and defeated expression on his face. I actually began to feel horribly guilty and was on the verge of falling to my knees and begging my father’s forgiveness when he simply said, “All right.”

“But first, give us a show of good faith,” Sean chimed in. I knew when I’d pushed far enough so I gave in. I told them about the listening thread, about your attempts to research the Stones (I'm sorry, but I wanted them to know they could trust me to be completely forthcoming), and about your meeting with Blivius and what happened after with Jamin and Damorin.

Which is when Father blew up. He was very upset by all the news and remarked (in stronger words than I am choosing to use) on how nice it will be when you have someone (me, dearest) by your side all the time to prevent more of the same.

Well, that is all for now. I’m coming home and, like I said, we’ll get through this experience together! I need to begin packing my things as Sean is coming to get me in the morning to begin the journey back to the city and to explain to me everything I need to know about being the “Imperial Eyes” of the group. In addition, I will finally get a chance to talk to him about that night.

Until we meet (I can’t wait!), yours affectionately,
Foofri

3 comments:

  1. Heh. Yes, looking back, I can see the gentlemen never intending to let Foofri to the capital...

    "“No!” they both shouted in unison.


    “But, I ca…”


    “No!” They said again.


    “Please, just hear me ou…”


    “No!”


    I looked at the both of them. They both seemed a little angry and here I was attempting to help them. "


    Also, gotta love Foofri's not-so-innocent narration.

    Btw, you should update their twitter statuses.

    VL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if only Foofri had been thinking clearly, she might have seen the signs and done something to take matters back into her own hands, heaven help us. It appears she was too excited over the prospect that her plan actually worked to analyze the situation properly.

    Thank you for reading, VL! -SQ

    ReplyDelete