COMMENTS ARE WELCOME

Anonymous, signed, happy, critical, irrelevant - we welcome all comments with open arms and a plate of (virtual) hot buttered scones.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Letter XXIV (Foofri to Cordy)

Dear Cordy,

I have very mixed feelings about the thought of you traveling through the Pass, dearest! I want you here, the very idea thrills me beyond belief, but I couldn't bear it if anything happed to you! Of course I'll meet you if you're still set on coming, I know I can't stop you, but please understand you must travel very carefully.

It's ironic that Muse teased you about being useless in the Pass. He never liked spending time in the Pass and, like you said, acts very reluctant about going back there. It's doubtful he would be at all helpful!

I'm sorry you quarreled with Damorin. Men can be so odd sometimes, sidestepping questions about masks and then turning around and being ridiculously overprotective! I don't envy the person who's with Damorin when he finds out you're gone. He'll be positively livid, you know. Sean will be upset as well, now that I think about it.

He'd be livid, too, if he knew what I was working on. No, I haven't been experimenting with my freckles, but I have spent my whole day in his laboratory, doing all kinds of interesting things. I went back to the bookshelves and found the old leather-bound volume which caught my eye when Sean gave me a tour. Just as I suspected, it was the same spell book he used to conjure the wraiths back when we were children. I'm working on an idea of mine regarding wraiths.  Don't worry, I have a wonderful experiment chamber to practice with so there is no need for alarm!

I did venture into the other parts of the house and found them cozy, but dull. Aside from his laboratory, Sean keeps house entirely without the aid of magic just like he said! He must have spent the few days we were apart scouring and cleaning. Indeed, there is not one dirty corner nor cluttered closet. Even the water closet is spotless.

Thank you for including Sean's letter with yours. I've copied some excerpts from it so you know what the men are doing about Winterfast and so forth. I can't imagine how an assassination against the Emperor could be related to the Stones, but Sean is right, the timing is too coincidental. I hope they solve this mystery quickly.

Muse gave me an idea of when you might arrive if things go as planned. I will be ready, but please, dearest, remember to be careful!

Love,
Foofri

P.S. I can't wait to see if my memoirs are published in the Dorthwany Daily! You're such a dear for delivering them on my behalf.

2 comments:

  1. I think my last comment didn't make it in, but I really love this story, and I'm so glad you haven't abandoned it. The long break in July/August really got me worried. I am sort of wondering where you're going to go with it now that Cordy and Foofri are apparently going to be in the same place soon. Sean and Damorin's letters to them? That doesn't seem to be improper in your world, as it would have been in Regency England.

    Liselle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liselle - I went in and looked for your last comment, just in case we accidentally forgot to click the publish button, but I think the site must have eaten it :(

    Sorry about the break in July. It was partly because I went on vacation, partly because we've both had dizzingly busy summers, and partly because as the story progresses, it gets more complicated, and the editing gets harder. But we are almost to the end!

    Our world has incorporated some aspects of Regency England, but also a lot of our own inventions. Cordy and Foofri have a lot more freedom than the average girl because they belong to the Council. Having magical powers gives them a status that elevates them above the normal rules of propriety, lucky for them!

    Thank you so much for reading and for commenting! -D.O.

    ReplyDelete