COMMENTS ARE WELCOME

Anonymous, signed, happy, critical, irrelevant - we welcome all comments with open arms and a plate of (virtual) hot buttered scones.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Letter VII (F.M. to C.D.)

Dearest Cordy,

Your letter saved me from what began as a very boring week. My high point was counting Grandmother's linens and organizing them according to color and season. Yes, you read that correctly. I went into the closet for a fresh towel and emerged hours later feeling very accomplished! To think what a bucolic lifestyle has done to me!

While I searched for ways to keep myself occupied, I also tried to keep an eye on father, especially his nocturnal activities. I knew you would find his use of protection wards suspicious, but I never thought to connect his activities with those of Sean Valerian. Indeed, the idea seemed preposterous.

The very day I received your letter, Father announced his intent to visit the village tavern for the evening. Though that isn't unusual for him, he acted a little too nonchalant, so when he left, I followed.

In the interest of full disclosure, I feel I should explain that while the main reason for following him was to find out what was going on, the other reason was because he had unknowingly donned a certain pair of men’s long underwear. Sean’s spell has lasted substantially longer than mine and I, unthinkingly, hung my muse up in the most logical place: the laundry closet (he came out very clean, but I hope Grandmother’s servants didn’t add starch). Not knowing when and how my muse would come out of the spell, I felt obligated to follow him.

The invisibility spell I cast turned out beautifully. I couldn't even see myself when I looked down and it was nice not to have to dash from shadow to shadow trying to avoid being seen in the moonlight. About halfway to the village, Father turned off onto a path I'd never noticed before, which wound through a dense thicket.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to scramble through scrub oak without making a sound? I had to follow Father's movements exactly, moving at precisely the same time he did, so he wouldn't hear me traipsing along behind him, catching my skirt on every other branch. I slipped up a few times, making noise when he didn't, but when he looked around to see what it was, he must have dismissed the sound.

Just as I bent over to coax my dress away from the clutches of a particularly thorny bush, I heard someone greet Father. Looking up, expecting to see some stranger from the village or at least someone human, I discovered it was actually an honest to goodness troll! He was approximately five feet tall, and almost half as wide. His skin was a bumpy gray in the moonlight and covered with what appeared to be battle scars and…algae? I couldn’t tell and didn’t want to ask for a sample to put on the magiscope. His head was only about the size of mine, but the giant hat he wore made it look about three times that. Not to mention the clothes. And his face! All wrinkled up like a prune with a long hooked nose and sharp eyes that glowed in the dark like a cat's. Oh, and let’s not forget the most prominent feature, large corn-shaped teeth, perfect for grinding away at a plate of gristle-bone sandwiches or whatever it is they serve at their infamous tea parties.

Even more surprising than seeing a troll for the first time in my life, was watching my father converse with him as though they were old friends! They spoke quietly for a few minutes before the troll gestured back up the trail. “Where did you find your new man?” he asked. “It couldn't have been easy finding someone who can speak troll.”

“He's an unusual find, true,” my father replied, “which is why I hired him. He has a variety of contacts outside the Realm and he speaks a little bit of everything.”

“Well, his accent is terrible,” the troll continued, “but his grammar is fairly good.”

My father slapped him on the back. “Perhaps both will improve with association.”

The troll nodded in agreement, glancing back again. “He's welcome at my wagon anytime.”

“Thank you,” Father said, making a sign of farewell.

As the troll headed my way, I quickly crawled into the shrubs just off the trail, using the noise he made to cover the sound of my movements. I'm fairly certain that bouncing off his stomach as he ploughed through what he thought was empty space would have been disastrous in more ways than one. He took a deep breath as he passed my hiding spot and seemed to look right at me with an amused expression on his face, before heading off down the path.

I stared at his retreating form, thinking how outlandishly he was dressed, how hideous a creature he was, and yet, how civilized he seemed to be. It made me wonder, not for the first time, what do they do at troll teas?

But I didn't have time to wonder. I quickly caught up with Father and followed him further into the woods. After several minutes, he stopped in a small, dark clearing. When he strode to the middle and lifted his hand to knock, I realized there was a little shack there that I hadn't seen before.

I was barely able to slip in behind him before the door closed firmly behind me. A lantern hanging from the eaves shed light on the only other occupant. Your suspicions were correct, dearest, for it was none other than Sean Valerian! I admit I was very skeptical when I read that part in your letter, but I quickly repented of those feelings. You can imagine how my thoughts were running wild! Sean Valerian is Father's new man! I silently leaned against the wall, eager to discover more.

Father spoke first. “This is a good place. No one will ever notice it, especially with that nevermind spell you’ve got cast over it. Now, what did you learn from my daughter?”

A smile almost passed over Sean’s controlled expression. “Nothing yet, sir. I gave her only the information you suggested and the instructions for Cordelimaera as well.”

“She didn’t question you?” Father asked pointedly.

“Not as much as she wanted to, I think.”

Father snorted. “That doesn’t sound like Foofri.”

“It probably helps that she already knows and trusts me.”

“Perhaps. Any messages from Cordelimaera yet? I’m trying to keep track of all the letters sent to us, but Foofri always goes into the village to pick up the post early. And I can’t exactly pry without drawing attention to the fact that, after eighteen years, I suddenly have an interest in her correspondence.”

“She hasn’t contacted me since our meeting, sir.”

“The client won’t be pleased. He was hoping for expediency in this matter.”

“Yes, considering his feelings, I can see how Ardaya would be anxious for any news.”

Father nodded. “Well, I suppose that’s all for now. I know we have a few other contracts you're meeting with in the village and I better get back home before Foofri gets even more suspicious. Keeping secrets is one part I won’t miss once you take over. I’ve always hated that part, but I didn’t really have a choice when Foofri showed enough promise to attend the Academy. Nothing else I’ve ever done could support her education.”

“Keeping things secret is something I've learned out of necessity,” replied Sean, “but I have to admit I, too, find it difficult keeping Foofri in the dark. She can be very compelling when she wants.”

“I'm well aware of it,” Father said, nodding. Then he stopped abruptly and gave Sean a pointed look. “You don’t have any intentions towards my daughter, do you?”

Sean gave a short laugh and shook his head. “That isn't why I came back.”

Father stared him down, but eventually his expression relaxed. “Good. It will make working for the underground a lot easier on you.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

“Until next time, then,” Father said before taking his leave. Sean leaned back against the closed door with clenched fists and shut his eyes tightly. “This is more complicated than I expected," he whispered to himself (or so he thought).

After he left, I stood in the dark for a while, considering what I had just overheard. Then I made my way home and fell into an exhausted sleep. When I awoke, I was able to think things through more clearly and pick out the important discoveries from the night before.

My father works for the underground, which he joined so he could put me through school (I often wondered how he managed to earn enough since the shop never seemed to bring in very much income, except during busy seasons). In addition, he's training Sean to take over for him, which makes sense since I only have my apprenticeship left. Additionally, Father and Sean are working for none other than Damorin Ardaya, who seems to have a vital interest in either your well-being or that of the Stones, which accounts for his behavior (or at least part of it; why he should be hiding behind potted plants is still a mystery).

Also, I don't think for a moment that my father failed to notice that Sean didn't really answer his question, but for some reason chose not to press the issue. I wish I knew what Sean thinks is complicated. In fact, I wish I knew more about him period--where he's been, what he's been doing, and what brought him back.

I’m sending this letter special courier in hopes that it will reach you as soon as possible. I must know your thoughts on the matter. I do not understand all that is going on, and I have more questions now than ever, but I do know my father would never do anything that would harm you in any way so when you express misgivings about what Sean requests, I can say without reservation, that I do trust what he and Father are doing, as strange as that may seem. One thing you should know, I’m going to confront the both of them during their next meeting, if I can. It isn’t right for them to keep us in the dark about this whole business. Also, you will let me know if anything strange has occurred, won’t you? I hope I hear from you before Father announces a little trip to the tavern.

As ever,
Foofri

P.S. Encounters with two different handsome men in one day. You poor, poor thing.

P.P.S. Thank goodness, the muse is still underwear. And I’m keeping him in my room now.

P.P.S Please send me the leaky dress spell. I can think of any number of uses for it.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I especially love the last bit where Sean leans against the door and says " This is more complicated that I expected." You get the feeling that this may have something to do with his intentions towards Foofri (well at least I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I was skeptical about reading a fantasy tale in the form of letters. (I've always assumed that letter writing would get really formulaic and banal... but I decided to give this a try since you're one of my few favorite authors. Your fan fiction is simply magnificent.) And after reading the first three letters, I must say that I've been hooked! Foofri is such a unique name, and this world seems pretty mysterious. The pacing is good. You seemed to have found the nice balance between making each letter sound as if it's a letter but not overwhelming the reader with the boring "hey how are you?" sort of formality stuff that comes with letter writing.



    I fully expect great things from you...you did a fantastic job of character development with Somerville and Rick and all around world building with your Batman fan fiction. I hope you update this letter story soon!



    And since I keep mentioning it in my not-so-subtle-way, will there by any new updates to "Night Falling"? If so, can you give me a ball park estimate for when you will update that?

    VL

    ReplyDelete